CORTLAND, N.Y. - This week's State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Q&A is with the Men's Lacrosse Athlete of the Week, Stephen Panno (Holtsville N.Y.).
Panno, the senior attackman, helped the Red Dragons go 2-0 last week leading the team with nine points, scoring seven goals and adding two assists in the two games. Oneonta's record is now 2-1 on the season and their next game is against Frostburg State University on Saturday, March 9th.
Sport: Men's Lacrosse
1. If you had to choose another sport to play in college what would it be and why?
If I could choose another sport to play in college I would choose golf because I'm an avid golfer and it's a relaxing sport.
2. What's your favorite pro sports team and why?
My favorite pro sports team is the New York Islanders because I've been an Islander fan forever and I'm a big hockey guy.
3. What do you feel is the biggest challenge being a student athlete?
The biggest challenge being a student athlete is finding ways to manage my time between school work and class.
4. If you could have one song play every time you score/get a hit/win a race what would it be?
The one song I would play every time I scored a goal would be lady marmalade by Christina Aguilera.
5. What's your favorite professional sports memory?
My favorite professional sports memory was when I was just a child and I was at the Mets game with my dad and brothers and we were sitting in the bleachers. It was a nice spring day when all the sudden Mike Piazza cranked a bomb out of the stadium into the bleachers. We didn't catch the ball but it was so exciting. The whole stadium erupted.
6. What's your favorite sports movie?
My favorite sports movie is miracle.
7. Do you have any pre/in game rituals? What are they?
I don't really have any rituals for pregame or in game. I'm not superstitious but I am a little stitious.
8. If you were stranded on an island, who would you bring?
If I were stranded on an island I would want my good friend Abby to be there with me. She's always quick with a joke and makes the best out of bad situations.
9. Who inspired you to play your sport?
My neighbors inspired me to play lacrosse. They always used to let me shoot on their net and I fell in love instantly.
10. What is your spirit animal?
My spirit animal would be a hippo. Hippos may not be the fastest animals in the animal kingdom, but If a hippo is running at you, you aren't just gonna stand there are you?