CORTLAND, N.Y. - The State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) did its Q&A with this week's Men's Soccer Offensive Athlete of the Week, Whitman Hernandez.
Hernandez exploded for four goals while adding one assist to lead Oneonta to a 7-1 rout of Potsdam this past Saturday. Hernandez's outburst made him the 13th player in program history to record four goals in a game and the first since 2009. The junior's nine points in the match made him only the fourth player in program history to reach that mark, the first since 1986.
Sport: Men's Soccer
Hometown: Huntington, N.Y.
- Which professional athlete do you have the most respect for? Ronaldinho was one of the best soccer players in the world from 2004-2006. He inspired me to play soccer and to love the game. Ronaldinho was very humble and his sportsmanship and passion for the game made me respect him.
- What's your game day meal? I usually eat some type of meat, a vegetable, and either rice or pasta, 3-4 hours before a game.
- What age did you start playing your sport? I started playing soccer when I was six years old.
- Do you have a hidden or special talent? I used to know how to play the harmonica.
- What is your career goal post college? I want to get a job that allows me to help others
- What's on your music playlist? I usually listen to pop and rap music before games.
- Do you have any pre-game rituals? I pray before the game starts.
- What's the best advice anyone has given you? Believe that everything is possible.
- What are your hobbies off the field/court? Playing video games and beating Coach Byrne at racquetball.
- What's your favorite memory since playing for your institution? Winning the SUNYAC Championship at home in front of a huge crowd last season.