CORTLAND, N.Y. - Brandon Amthor, the sophomore from Brockport, who was recently honored as the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Men's Swimmer of the Week, tells us a little about himself in this week's Q&A.
Amthor was strong at the Fredonia Invitational, finishing first in both of his races. He placed first in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 21.52 and first place in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 44.46
Sport: Men's Swimming
Hometown: Hamlin, N.Y.
Major: Kinesiology / Sport Science / Physical Education
- Which professional athlete do you have the most respect for? I have the most respect for Derrick Rose. He has had so much bad luck with injuries and he kept fighting and now he is back to his old self. I love his self-encouragement!
- What's your competition day meal? I don't necessarily have a favorite competition day meal but I normally will have like eggs with toast before a big meet.
- What age did you start competing in your sport? I started when I was 5 years old for a club team called Sharks and Eagles.
- Do you have a hidden or special talent? I would consider myself really good at mountain biking.
- What is your career goal post college? My goal is to work in an American history museum as a curator.
- What's on your music playlist? Logic, iamjakehill, Lil Peep, Lil Skies, Juice WRLD, Pouya, Wifisfuneral. I have tons of hip-hop artists on my playlist.
- Do you have any pre-competition rituals? I like to put on my headphones and just zone out entirely. I put myself into my own element.
- What's the best advice anyone has given you? No matter how many times you might fall down and no matter what kind of screwed up things life might throw at you, never ever give up and keep positive. It will always work out in the end. You have to keep your head up high and focus on your dreams and turn it into reality. ~Alex Burrow
- What are your hobbies outside of your sport? I love playing xbox with my buddies. I don't really think about swimming outside of the pool much. I also like playing basketball when I can.
- What's your favorite memory since competing at your institution? Winning SUNYACS for Brockport for the first time in 30 years was a huge accomplishment for me. It was crazy to see everyone so hyped up after I won that!