CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky. - The SUNY Geneseo softball team fell to host Thomas More, 2-0, in their first game of the day, but defeated Dickinson (Pa.), 6-2, to stave off elimination and advance to the NCAA Regional final.
GAME ONE - Thomas More 2, Geneseo 0
- Senior pitcher Taylor Moore battled through five scoreless innings, but allowed a leadoff single and a two run home run in the sixth as Thomas More took a 2-0 lead.
- Senior outfielder Alyssa Persich, junior infielder Abbey Whitneyand senior infielder Kylie Papagelos each singled while senior outfielder Danni Napoli ripped a double, the Knights' only extra-base hit of the game.
- Senior pitcher Jasmine Petrishin entered in the sixth inning and retired all three batters she faced.
GAME TWO - Geneseo 6, Dickinson 2
- Geneseo took a 1-0 lead in the second inning when Petrishin drove in Persich on a hard ground ball through the right side.
- In the third inning, junior pitcher Ashlyn Kersch led off with a solo home run. Persich drove in a pair of runs an Petrishin singled home a run to make it 5-0. First-year infielder Taylor Riccardi added an RBI to put the Knights ahead 6-0.
- Dickinson battled back for two runs in the fourth inning, but Petrishin and Kersch combined to shut down the Red Devils' bats.
- The Knights tied a season-high with three stolen bases against Dickinson as Petrishin, junior infielder Hannah Elmer and senior catcher Taylor Fedor each stole a bag.
- Persich and Petrishin each finished with a pair of RBI against the Red Devils, while Elmer finished with two runs scored.
- Geneseo improves to 6-4 all-time in NCAA Regional games, and advances to the NCAA Regional Final for the second-consecutive season.
The Knights face host Thomas More on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. and with a win would force an if-necessary game immediately following the first.
Kersch Gets It Done On The Rubber, At The Plate To Lead Knights to Victory, 2-1
CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky. - SUNY Geneseo junior pitcher Ashlyn Kerschwent 3-for-4 with a home run and two runs scored and tossed a complete game to lead the Knights to a 2-1 victory over Dickinson (Pa.) in the opening game of the NCAA Regional hosted by Thomas More University on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kersch retired 12 of the first 13 hitters she faced and did not allow a hit through four scoreless innings. In the fifth, Dickinson manufactured a run with a two-out RBI double to take a 1-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the sixth inning, Kersch came to the plate and blasted a solo home run over the right-center field fence to tie the game at 1-1.
- Geneseo overcame a two-out double in the top of the eighth as Kersch forced the Red Devils to strand the runner at second. In the bottom of the inning, Kersch singled up the middle before Napoli laced a double down the left field line, scoring Kersch all the way from first base to give the Knights the walk-off victory.
- Kersch lifted her third home run of the year and earned her 15th win of the season, improving to 15-3 with a 1.72 ERA.
- Napoli and junior first baseman Abbey Whitney each finished with a double, bringing the Knights' season total to 80, three shy of the single-season program record.
- The Knights have held their opponent to four runs or fewer in 37 of their 44 games this season.
- Geneseo is now 3-0 in the opening game of NCAA Regionals.
The Knights will face the winner of host Thomas More and Wilson in the second round of the NCAA Regional on Saturday at 10:00 a.m.